Monday, February 17, 2014

The Black Parade's Famous Last Words

Today the final nail was placed in the coffin of one of my favorite bands. If you can't tell from the title of this post I'm referring to My Chemical Romance. Today the band released their final song "Fake Your Death". The song was a part of the MCR's incomplete and unreleased fifth album. Watch the music video below.




My Chemical Romance announced the end of the band on their website on March 22nd, 2013. "Fake Your Death", is described as "a eulogy for the band" to Alternative Press by front man Gerard Way.

In a statement to AP, Gerard Way said, "...I consider “Fake Your Death” to be the “last MCR song”, and to me, it is absolutely the final fully realized collaboration between the members of the band...And while I don’t believe the lyrics of the chorus today- I did at the time, which to me is a core ingredient to the music of MCR. And it is through that belief, and yours, that we were able to achieve many beautiful things."

If you have never listened to MCR and find everything I'm saying to utter nonsense, check out a few of my favorite songs for clarity. Famous Last Words, I'm Not Okay, and Teenagers. All great songs.

On a personal level, I discovered My Chemical Romance thanks to a friend in early 2006 a few months before Welcome To The Black Parade was dropped. The first song I heard from MCR was Give 'Em Hell Kid off of 2004's Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge. The discovery of the music of MCR led to many great other bands that helped me discover who I was at a freshman in high school. Such bands as The Used, Taking Back Sunday, The Academy Is..., and Green Day.

2010-2013 saw the break up of many great bands many of which had a great influence on my life. Underoath, Fall Out Boy(Now Reunited), Scary Kids Scaring Kids, The Academy Is..., and A Rocket To The Moon to name a few. All of these groups represents a significant time period in my life and hold a special place in my heart. To have seen so many of them disband has been disheartening and feels kind of like a piece of my history is gone forever.

I guess this is growing up.

Enough of the belly-aching! Go grab your iPod and celebrate the greatness that was My Chemical Romance the best possible way. Loud and Angry!

If you have a favorite My Chemical Romance Song tell me what it is when the comment section below!




No comments:

Post a Comment