Tuesday, January 22, 2013

What I’ve Learned Through Music

So I feel like over the past two years I've learned a lot about music. Here a few of the things that have helped me enjoy music on a deeper level. 

Just because I like one song or a couple of songs by a band/artist does not necessarily mean I am a fan of them. If I find a song I like on the radio that I like but don't ever look any father into the artist I don't have to consider myself a fan. 

It's ok to like genres on different ends of the spectrum i.e. country and Hardcore  or classical  and dub step

People who only listen to a specific genre because its what their click listens to is missing out on a lot of great music. In high school I only listened to hardcore music because I wanted to be such an individual.  I thought that everyone who listened to pop music was just a mindless drone who would gobble up anything that hollywood threw at them. But as I've grown up I've started to really enjoy pop music. Not only pop music has caught my ear but also 20s Big Band, 50's Rockabilly, dubs step, smooth jazz and others. 

Someone who tells another that they have terrible taste in music is someone who is completely irrelevant. Don't let anyone talk down on you for listen to a certain artist or genre of music, you have to do what makes you happy. 

You aren't a sell-out because you listen to pop music. It doesn't make you any less "cool".

Judge a musician by their ability to perform. Do not allow preconceived notions of an artist to hold you back, because 99% of the time they are wrong and you end up missing out some really good music. 

Do not judge an artist by who they tour with. They have bills to pay too.

Sometimes they take a tour to be able to pay their rent.

Just because its on the radio doesn't mean an artist has sold out (Not in all cases). It means they are archiving success.

If you don't like a certain artist, simply doesn't listen to them. Don't go around telling people how bad they are because truthfully your opinion doesn't matter to anyone else but you.

Regardless of  how anointed or spiritual an artist is, if the music doesn't appeal to me I don't have to listen to it.  It doesn't make me any less of a Christian.

It is pointless to argue about why your favorite artist is better than someone else's. Everyone just walks away frustrated and it never changes anyone's minds.

Your favorite artist doesn't need you to defend them. There is no need to go on youtube and post comments full of obscenities on music videos telling someone to shut the BLEEP up.

You will always be happier if you ignore everyone else's opinion. 'Nuff Said.

Don't let the fan base of an artist stop you from listening to their music. 

Listen to different kinds of music makes you a more open minded and well rounded person.

Artist will always strive to change their sound and try new things. There is no need to go on youtube or twitter and tear an artist to pieces for practicing their art.

No comments:

Post a Comment